Graduate Medical Education
Transitional Year Internship
|You may email the director firstname.lastname@example.org|
The Transitional Internship Program accepts 7-14 Residents per year. The program is designed to give the Transitional a broad educational base and, at the same time, meet the ACGME requirements for accreditation. Two weeks of leave/vacation time are allotted for interns. Also, every intern (except USUHS graduates) will go on TDY (usually 8 days) to successfully complete the C4 training (Combat Casualty Care Course-comprised of ATLS and Field Training) offered at Fort Sam Houston. There are 13 four-week rotations as follows:
- Two General Medicine Ward
- One Emergency Medicine
- Two General Surgery (three for pre-select dermatology)
- One Medical Intensive Care Unit
- One Cardiology In-patient Service (except pre-select Dermatology)
- One Orthopaedic Surgery (except pre-select Dermatology)
- One OB/GYN
- One Ambulatory Medicine (Usually Family Practice)
- 10 weeks elective (Traditional Interns)
- 2 week selective chosen from core rotations (Traditional Interns)
- Four electives for Preselect Dermatology
- Given the opportunity to selective from dermatology, pathology, plastic surgery, infectious disease, rheumatology and many others.
WBAMC’s Transitional Year Program includes three slots for preselected applicants. They are:
- 2 PGY-1 Dermatology Slots
- 1 PGY-1 Ophthalmology Slot
In addition to 11 “traditional” transitional slots per year.
The Department of Graduate Medical Education understands that you may have special interest in a certain field of training. We will always work with you in trying to modify your schedule when possible to better your training in your interested field and assist in any way possible with the match process. Unfortunately “audition” rotations at other facilities are not authorized. One or two permissive TDYs will be granted, schedule permitting, to interview at other facilities.
We only accept applicants with US Military Service Obligation. You may email the director at email@example.com