Soldier Family Medical Center (West Bliss)
The WBAMC Optometry Service provides quality optometric care to active duty soldiers, retirees and their dependents beginning at age four.
Optometry Services Available
- Provide all primary care to patients as it relates to the eyes and vision.
- Perform diagnosis of visual and ocular problems through external and internal physical evaluation of the eyes and surrounding structures.
- Treats visual disorders through the prescription of corrective lenses, vision training, and pharmacological means as indicated.
- Provide emergency eye care services from the hours of 7 AM - 4 PM, (M-F excluding holidays) including diagnosis and treatment of ophthalmic trauma and other eye-related pathologies. For emergency ocular care outside these hours, all TRICARE beneficiaries are directed to the emergency room.
- 1. TRICARE covers “Medically Indicated Contact Lenses” only for treatment of:
- Infantile glaucoma.
- Corneal or scleral lenses for treatment of keratoconus.
- Scleral lenses to retain moisture when normal tearing is not present or is inadequate.
- Corneal or scleral lenses to reduce corneal irregularities other than astigmatism.
- Intraocular lenses, contact lenses, or eyeglasses for loss of human lens function resulting from intraocular surgery, ocular injury or congenital absence.
- "Pinhole" glasses prescribed for use after surgery for detached retina.
- Adjustments, cleaning, and repairs for eyeglasses are not covered.
Infant / Children Exam Policy
Parents/ Guardians are responsible for your children and family members. It is recommended that only the child that is being examined with an appropriate guardian is in the exam room during your visit. Ultimately, the decision of whether or not the exam will continue is up to the provider if the above is not followed. Please understand this is not only a safety precaution to staff and equipment, but this is needed so that your eye care may continue to be World Class and we can give the patient the attention they deserve.
Information on alternate child care information provided by Fort Bliss can be found at the following link: https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac/blisscyms.html.