Rio Bravo Medical Home Healthcare done Right!
Getting the most from your Appointment
What your care team should do:
1. Learn About You
- Your team should get to know you, your family, your life situation, and preferences. Remember these details about you every time you seek care, and suggest treatments that make sense for you.
- Your team should treat you as a leader in your own care.
2. Communicate WITH YOU
- Give you time to ask questions, and answer them in a way that you understand
- Make sure you know and understand all of your options for care
- Help you decide what care is best for you. Sometimes more care is not better care.
- Ask you for feedback about your experience getting care.
3. Support You in Caring for yourself
- Make sure you leave the office with a clear idea of how to care for yourself
- Help you set goals for your care, and help you meet your goals, one step at a time
- Give you information about classes, support groups, or other types of services to help you learn more about your condition and stay healthy.
What You Can Do
4. Learn about caring for yourself
- Know that you are a full partner in your own care.
- Learn about your condition and what you can do to stay as healthy as possible
- As best as you can, follow the plan that you and your medical home team have agreed is important for your health.
- Understand that not every condition requires a face to face visit
- Utilize self-care resources and the self-care pharmacy program
5. Communicate with your Care Team
- Always bring a list of questions to each of your appointments. Also bring a list of any medications, vitamins or self-remedies you use.
- Always tell your medical home team when you don’t understand something they said. Ask them to explain it in a different way.
- Always tell your medical home team if you get care from other health professionals so they can help coordinate the best care possible.
- Always talk openly with your care team and complete your Army Provider Level Satisfaction Survey (APPLS)so we can make your care better
- Use this handy checklist to assist you before you next visit.