Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service
The Physical Medicine service provides quality care to patients with musculoskeletal and neurological disorders. Evaluation techniques, including electro diagnosis (EMG/NCS), leading to treatment with an emphasis on decreasing pain and restoring function. Standard pharmacological therapy is supplemented with exercise and other methods of treatment depending on individual patient needs. Referral to other supporting services may be provided on an as-needed basis.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation will be the primary sub specialty clinic for spine pain patients at William Beaumont Army medical center. We will act primarily as the gatekeepers for other sub-specialties in dealing with spine pain. This will be in conjunction with the new back pain guidelines which will be dispensed starting in February or March.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation offers comprehensive electrodiagnostic studies for patients. This includes motor and sensory nerve conduction studies, electromyography, evoked potentials, f-wave studies, H-reflex, and other related studies.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation offers a comprehensive musculoskeletal pain clinic. We can treat and evaluate most soft tissue pain problems. We offer comprehensive treatment plans that involve physical and occupational therapy, medications, injections, and we have just added acupuncture as a means of treating patients.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation can can prescribe and evaluate patients for medical equipment, orthotics, and braces. For example, patients who need a specialized seating system could benefit from a physical medicine and rehabilitation consultation for a specialized wheelchair prescription.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation can aid in discharge planning and in formulating rehabilitation plans for patients. For example, we are the primary physicians involved in the social work discharge planning conference. We aid social work in planning out medical care for patients who are discharged from the hospital and in prescribing outpatient therapy and in recommending the type of care patients will require when transferred to another facility.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation can also assist with pediatric patients who require rehabilitation. For example, we can aid in prescribing medical equipment, and helping therapist to design a treatment program for the patient.